Published on May 4th, 2016
“Dear Mom, not to get sappy or anything, but now that I’m not 13, I truly & totally appreciate everything you’ve done for me. Thank you. I love you. Happy Mothers Day!”
As your Fox Valley HVAC guy, I know a top-of-the-line HVAC unit to keep Mom cool in the summer and warm every winter would be theee puuur-fect gift to keep Mom cozy all year round.
Something SMART to take care of Mom all year long would be perfect, too, of course. And right now Blue Frost Heating & Cooling is giving away NEST Wi-Fi Digital Programmable Thermostats, too. Programmable thermostats are a good investment. They can be programmed to adjust the temperature and conserve energy when you are sleeping or away from home. They adjust the temperature before you return to make sure you come home to comfortable temperatures, too.
But what if Mom already has an HVAC unit, annual maintenance and all that comes with having an HVAC guy for a son? Now you know where this dude is coming from. Let’s start with a little pinpointing and maybe some process of elimination. We’ll see if we can’t nail a great gift idea for Mom together.
Let’s generate a few Mothers Day gift ideas
Set age aside. What does Mom love to DO?
Is she a great cook? Does she have useful and amazing kitchen tools and machines to help her make all that great food?
Is she into health and fitness? Does she have good tennies and clothing that wicks away moisture? What about a heart monitor or an awesome pedometer? Depending on her exercise of choice, there’s a vast array of great gifts you could give (even for dance classes). However, if Mom wants and needs to lose weight, giving a membership to Weight Watchers may or may not be the perfect gift. Just sayin’.
Does she like to sew or quilt, knit or crochet? A gift card to your local quilting or fabric store would be fun for her to spend.
Does she love to travel? Tickets to someplace she loves to go or has dreamed of going would be a unique Mothers Day gift. No, do not buy one-way tickets to anywhere.
Does she need a break?! You could give Mom a day at the spa complete with massage therapy, facial, manicure and pedicure.
I hope this has generated a few creative juices. Just in case it hasn’t, here’s a list of 10 unique Mothers Day gift ideas:
- New curtains or blinds for her favorite room in the house. Room-darkening or blackout curtains will help her sleep better while blocking out heat and cold.
- A well-stocked tool kit just for Mom. Today, there are tools ergonomically designed for a women’s hands. If you build your own tool kit, make sure needle-nose pliers are in there.
- If Mom loves to go camping, consider The Laundry Pod. She could put you to work when the power goes out, so think long and hard about giving this gift.
- WeMo LED Smart light bulbs (light emitting diodes). They’re energy-efficient and will last approximately 23 years (based on being used 3 hours per day). And because they’re SMART, allows Mom to control her lighting from anywhere using her Apple, Android or Kindle device and the free WeMo app.
- The AquaFarm – A micro-garden and fish tank combo. Mom can grow herbs and enjoy a beautiful fish with very little work involved. The fish waste sustains herbs you can grow, like wheat grass, basil and lettuce, and the plants keep the fish tank clean.
- A Smartphone Photo Printer to make beautiful 4×6 color prints right from her iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy or other Android device. Mom’s love pictures!
- Ever hear of MPix Photobooks? These are pretty cool!
- MistoBox is a coffee subscription service. They send a 12-ounce bag of gourmet whole bean coffee that’s roasted-to-order every month. You could give a really nice mug with a great handle (yes, a good handle matters) with the subscription tucked inside.
- Simple Sugars is an all-natural skincare line created by and 18-year-old to treat her own sensitive skin which was prone to eczema. Founder Lani Lazarri’s mantra is “If you wouldn’t eat it, then you probably have no business putting it on your skin.” Skin is the largest organ in the body.
- A Daisy Cakes cake is a fun idea, but they only ship on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and take one to three days to arrive via FedEx. Since today is Wednesday, you better call ahead TODAY if you want to get it in time for Mother’s Day.
Mothers Day gift cards and items that Mom would enjoy, or could easily regift, are great gift ideas, too. Whatever you decide to give Mom, if given with sincerity and love from your heart, will be treasured, I’m certain. Don’t forget to call her, hug her, kiss her and tell her how much you love and appreciate her. She is and always will be your biggest fan.
I love you, Mom! Thank you for who you are and all of yourself that you have invested in me. You’re the best!